The Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) is a dynamic, market-driven industrial company that competes internationally for the production and sale of circulation coinage, precious metals, refinery services, collector products and medals in both Canadian and international markets. The RCM is a progressive commercial Crown Corporation with over 1,200 employees between its facilities in Ottawa and Winnipeg.
The Vice-President, Operations reports to the CEO and is a member of the Mint’s executive team. The incumbent is responsible for the planning, directing and controlling of all manufacturing facilities and operations at the Mint’s two plants (Ottawa and Winnipeg) and the Research and development portfolio. The incumbent is also accountable for achieving the manufacturing objectives in adherence to established quality standards and within agreed-upon cost levels. The position has responsibility for industrial and design engineering services for the Company.
- Senior Director, Manufacturing (2): Directs the manufacturing, packaging and shipping operations of the two manufacturing plants in Canada (Winnipeg, Ottawa), including the engineering and technical services teams. Staff of 700 (approx)
- Director, Quality Systems and Operational excellence (1): Directs Quality Systems and business analytics. Staff of 27
- Chief Technology Officer (1): Directs R&D activities in Ottawa and Winnipeg on assigned research projects. Staff of 11.
- Director, Refining & Inventory Management (1): Directs the refining and inventory operations at the Ottawa plant. Staff of 90 (approx.)
- Executive Assistant (1)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of the annual business plans and the 5-year corporate plan in conjunction with the CEO and Executive Team. Provide strategic and operational guidance towards the achievement of Budget and Financial targets and drives operational efficiencies and synergies.
- Lead a culture of safety, performance, innovation and positive engagement across Operations’ employees, through targeted training and development activities, clear and transparent communication practices and recognition.
- Champion a safety first, zero injuries mindset by establishing and maintaining high safety standards ensuring proper accountabilities and implementing processes to identify risks, eliminate unsafe work practices and provide positive reinforcement.
- Lead agile manufacturing facilities that run efficiently to produce quality products in a cost-effective manner to meet customer expectations, sales schedules and contractual commitments while building upon environmentally sustainable practices.
- Lead process improvements to optimize manufacturing capabilities, increase profitability and capitalize on market opportunities.
- Ensure a compelling value proposition for employees, attracting and retaining top talent to develop a high performing team. Provide clear direction and consistent communication, which fosters employee engagement, values diversity and inclusion and deliver results.
- Support strategic sales initiatives and market penetration by creating new opportunities to reduce costs and increase production flexibility and speed to market.
- Partner with Finance to leverage costing and productivity analysis services for optimal decision-making and support robust risk management practices.
- Oversee the Research and Development teams in Winnipeg and Ottawa facilities and works closely with the Chief Commercial officer and the sales and marketing teams to identify new technologies, products and processes to support the RCM’s customer-centric focus.
- Partner with Procurement and Supply Chain to leverage key relationships and partnerships with external suppliers to capitalize on opportunities and increase flexibility to deliver against business requirements.
- Oversee the activities of Refining and inventory management and Vault and Warehouse operations and ensure the effectiveness of inventory policies, processes, procedures and controls.
- Oversee all customer quality standards and delivery commitments to ensure the Mint meets or exceeds expectations and maintains ISO certification
- Ensure manufacturing plants and office assets and infrastructure are maintained and improved through a cost-effective capital budget that is aligned with operational and organizational needs.
- Direct the Facilities management operations of the Head Office and manufacturing facility and a satellite office, both located in Ottawa.
- Proven leadership and communication skills
- Ability to build and foster relationships and work collaboratively at the senior executive level
- Able to lead and influence staff and front-line employees to work in a collaborative and results driven team environment.
- Proven track record of building and maintaining respectful, ethical, and trusting working relationships with employees, Board of Directors, customers and other key stakeholders
- Ability to lead or play a key role in change management initiatives.
- Strong business acumen, strategic negotiations abilities and sound contract management skills
- University degree in related area
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of management experience in a leadership role
- Minimum of 10 years of manufacturing experience
- Be available for domestic and international travel
- Bilingual (English and French). Ability to communicate simply and effectively both orally and in writing.
To apply for this position, please submit your application and related materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.