About the Organization
Aluminerie Alouette is the largest aluminum smelter in the Americas.
In early 1970s, major aluminum producers began to consider the idea of building a smelter at Sept-Îles. With the creation in 1985 of a new deep-water terminal at Pointe-Noire, the idea took a more tangible shape.
In 1987, at the initiative of Quebec’s Société Générale de financement (SGF), an international consortium was created with a view to building an aluminum smelter somewhere in Quebec. Thanks to its deep-water port, qualified manpower and proximity to major power grids, Sept-Îles was the obvious choice.
The creation of Aluminerie Alouette in Sept-Îles was officially announced on September 1, 1989. The smelter was built in less than three years and produced its first tonne of “grey gold” in June 1992.
Phase II got under way in September 2002 and was completed in May 2005. It was Quebec’s largest private construction project and has become a world reference in terms of aluminum smelter construction and start-up.
With over 900 employees and an annual production capacity of 600,000 tonnes of primary aluminium, Alouette is the largest employer in Sept-Îles.
Today, the Aluminerie Alouette consortium is made up of the following five shareholders: AMAG Austria Metall AG (Austria, 20%), Hydro Aluminium (Norway, 20%), Investissement Québec (Canada, 6.67%), Marubeni Metals & Minerals (Japan, 13.33%) and Rio Tinto (Canada, 40%).
Position Description: Chief Executive Officer
The President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be responsible for the development and operation of Alouette, including the leadership of all strategic, operational, financial and human capital aspects of the corporation. He/she will maintain a high standard of operations while implementing best-in-class operating practices. The CEO will need to enhance and develop a world-class management team and ensure a strong culture of performance and accountability at all levels of the organization. A relentless commitment to HSE and operations excellence will form the basis of the future success of the organization.
He/she is a critical player within corporate affairs and relationships with external stakeholders such as government agencies. He/she represents the shareholders in any discussion or negotiations with government representatives (national, provincial or regional) and directly manages all regulatory and legal issues and situations. In addition to these critical contacts, the local communities’ situation, with native communities being involved, will always require a very tactful approach from the CEO, adding sensitivity to the community relationship situation.
The CEO represents the company on the Aluminium Association of Canada (AAC) with his vis-à-vis from Rio Tinto Alcan and Alcoa. He is also frequently involved in consultative and/or advisory committees.
- Ensure proper activities to support sustainable development and protect company’s identity;
- Oversee compliance with all relevant legislative requirements and the Health, Safety and Environmental Responsibilities specific to operations and in accordance with shareholders’ operational standards and excellence;
- Promote total job safety and environmental awareness by employees and sub-contractors, and stress to all employees and sub-contractors the importance senior management attaches to safety and the environment;
- Ensure that safe, environmentally acceptable working methods and practices are implemented, and that sufficient plant and equipment is made available, and properly operated and maintained, to facilitate proper access and enable every operation to be carried out safely;
- Ensure proper participation of Company representatives in national, provincial or regional HS&E working committee to ensure the company’s point of view is considered.
Plant Strategic Direction
- Develop, in conjunction with the Board, the business plan and Long-Term Financials (LTF) that establish the strategic direction and performance objectives for the Company including a set of stretch targets designed to achieve and maintain the expected competitive position;
- Implement the business plan, which should reflect the stretch targets, and report to the Board on progress;
- Manage efficiently and economically within targeted parameters including safety, environmental norms, quality and production standards for all aspects of operations, technical services, administrative functions and human resources activities;
- Ensure the continuation of the development of the identity and culture of the operating company within the local environment, the community and long-term operational functioning in the best interest of the Shareholders/Owners and employees;
- Engage and mobilize the Alouette organization through inspirational leadership, while raising the bar in terms of performance, in close cooperation with its Shareholders/Owners;
- Actively drive sustainable operational improvements;
- Assure the success of the investment program of the Company, including any potential expansion and R&D investment, delivering a maximum return on investment;
- Further promote synergies between Shareholders and the Company so that goals and objectives established can be realized;
- Deploy appropriate communication strategies to ensure proper understanding and support of the Company’s strategies and direction by shareholders, employees and critical stakeholders.
- Ensure proper management structure is in place to deliver business plan and perform benchmarking activities;
- Plan, develop and implement strategy for effective operational management including but not limited to: HSE, HR, Finance, Commercial, Stakeholder Management, Construction and Plant Operations;
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives supporting the business plan;
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for measuring necessary aspects of operations management and development;
- Maintain proper employees’ management systems to retain and attract employees in a remote location;
- Maintain applicable external certification to support Company’s reputation (image) and credibility as well as guarantee robustness of internal management systems in place.
- Plant Operational Requirements
- Develop and monitor the plant’s challenging objectives and plans to achieve the strategy and world-class operation;
- Conduct all required review audits for internal and external controls as well as additional benchmarking activities when required;
- Ensure that plant products meet clients’ expectations;
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations with a clean and understandable set of KPIs.
- Plant Maintenance, HSE & Quality requirements
- Maintain appropriate asset reliability and maintenance management programs to support operations and maximize value for shareholders;
- Develop continuous improvement (Lean Six Sigma) and quality programs to pro-actively manage plant processes, conduct regular reviews and initiate and maintain sustainable, high-paced change leading to a significant step up of new operating processes and work practices.
Budget & Reporting
- Control the overall management of financial resources through efficient management and reporting procedures and practices;
- Review and monitor company’s budget and performance targets incorporated in that budget;
- Ensure proper record keeping and reporting;
- Review and monitor capital budget and ensure proper project delivery in terms of time and budget;
- Ensure that appropriate procurement and purchasing policies are in place and controlled;
- Report regularly on progress for Executive management.
Leadership, Development, Coaching and Mentoring
- Mobilize and lead the management team to achieve the strategy and objectives;
- Develop shared leadership and accountability within the management team;
- Show strong leadership and commitment to HSE with regular presence on the site to lead by example;
- Ensure that all employees and sub-contractors employees are effectively managed according to plant policies;
- Fix personal objectives, review performance and support career development for each direct report;
- Oversee the development of staff to meet the standards required, within the context of the business objectives, and to minimize risks in key positions;
- Oversee the implementation of development programs to maximize employees’ potential for personal growth;
- Ensure that all business is done in accordance with company’s corporate values and ethical behaviour.
- Maintain and develop organizational culture, values and reputation in its markets and with all staff, customers, suppliers, partners and regulatory/official bodies;
- Develop and maintain external and internal communication strategies and plans to support world-class communication and value creation relationship.
- Facilitate and develop policies and practices on organizational culture with the objective of maintaining what should be maintained, without forgetting to stretch the organization towards competitive leadership;
- In collaboration with the HR Manager, drive the objectives of the organizational culture implementation through every level of the organization;
- Ensure the Mission, Vision and Values of the company are embedded in all activities of the organization and are well supported by an appropriate code of conduct/ethics.
- Identify risks, and costs associated with the risks, and develop plans to reduce risk profile and associated mitigation-remediation costs.
Candidate Profile: Chief Executive Officer
General Management Experience
- Has acquired a minimum of 10 years in related field with management experience at plant level in the last 3 to 5 years.
- Aluminum smelting experience highly preferable or, alternatively, experience in magnesium or other primary metal smelting environments.
- Proven Continuous / Productivity Improvement Experience
- Demonstrated skills in operations optimization through structured methodology and approaches. Ability to develop, implement and evaluate new and revised procedures, methods and standards.
Experienced Relationship Builder
- References will demonstrate that he/she has a track record of building and maintaining strong relationships across all key stakeholder groups.
- Experience in working in culturally challenging environment.
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrates effective communication skills in both French and English, verbal and written.
- University Degree in Engineering or a Related Discipline
- Graduate in Engineering or Science; post-graduate degree in Management considered a significant asset.
Critical Leadership Capabilities
- Enables higher performance by incrementally improving approaches based on calculated risks and benefits.
- Benchmarks own performance against industry best practices.
- Proactively seeks to improve processes and implement best in class solutions, raising quality and productivity in a calculated way.
- Identifies new processes and/or systems to improve productivity and/or make the business more efficient.
Building People Capability
- Spends time building a clear understanding of the capabilities and potential of the whole team as well as opportunities to build strategic capability to support the whole organization.
- Systematically develops the team to support organizational bench strength, including rotating individuals into other areas.
- Brings promising individuals to the attention of other executives, including identifying specific capabilities and growth potential.
- Implements development systems and structures.
Collaborating and Influencing
- Facilitates discussions to enable people to collaborate with each other independently; promotes collaboration across multiple parties.
- Identifies and meets with key players and stakeholders to help them shape a consensus collectively and engages in a dialogue to reach a final conclusion together, compromising as necessary for results.
- Develops explicit understanding of which relationships are most important to the organization and its stakeholders, builds a network prioritizing these relationships.
This position is based in Sept-Iles, Québec, Canada.
To explore this exciting opportunity further, please submit your resume and information to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position title and organization you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
We would like to thank all the applicants, but regret that we are only able to personally contact those individuals whose backgrounds best match the requirements for the role.