1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6A3Z7
The role of CEO of Science World is an exciting opportunity for the right leader to join an important, successful, and growing science centre, and bring it to the next level. It will require an individual who will embrace an ambitious mandate and sees the transformational opportunity that Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STEAM) literacy has to ignite wonder and empower dreams in communities throughout BC, with cascading effects well beyond provincial boundaries.
In this time of unprecedented change, the opportunity is for a new Chief Executive Officer to build on strong foundational groundwork, and to lead, define, and activate how it evolves and takes shape to ensure its vision is realized to its full potential. It will require a bold, visionary, and creative leader who can ignite its purpose and bring it to fruition.
Highlights of this opportunity include:
• Provide vision and leadership to an award-winning, financially sound, and growing science centre in one of the most vibrant cities in North America.
• Launch a significant capital campaign, engaging the community and setting campaign goals to “reimagine an icon” through the vision of an improved dome theatre and new multi- purpose innovation space.
• Establish financial and administrative control, oversee promotional campaigns and oversee human resources planning.
• Implement organizational policies and programs by allocating material, human and financial resources.
• Formulate policies and programs and establish objectives for Science World.
• Provide strong leadership and development opportunities for a passionate and engaged employee base of over 200 staff and volunteers.
• Embrace an ambitious growth mandate that understands the opportunity STEAM has to address some of the largest and most complex challenges of both the present and future.
• Fulfill the vision that within five years Science World will be known not only as an amazing learning resource for children, but also as an engaging place for older audiences to explore the pressing issues of our time, and to co-create positive visions of the future.
• Help to lead the transformation of teaching and learning in BC, through innovative programming and outreach promoting STEAM literacy throughout the province.
• Oversee the establishment of major departments and senior staff positions.
• Oversee the hiring of middle managers, directors and/or other executive staff and delegate the necessary authority to create optimum working conditions.
• Act as Science World’s representative for negotiations and other official functions.
As the ideal candidate, you are fluent in English (written and verbal) and you bring a minimum of 5 - 10 years' experience, demonstrated track record of providing strategic senior leadership and vision to an organization with multiple stakeholders and bring credibility and profile to the community. This experience will ideally come directly from the science, museum, or technology sectors, but may come from experience in an organization with parallels to Science World. A post-secondary degree or diploma in Science or in a related field is preferred.
This is a full time, permanent position located in Vancouver, B.C., based on a 40 hour work week with a salary range between $250,000 – $375,000 CAD plus a 15% bonus, 5 weeks vacation, as well as a defined contribution pension plan. There will also be employer-paid health and welfare benefits which include medical, dental, extended health, life insurance, and sick leave. Relocation assistance will be provided (if applicable).
Preference will be given to a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
To apply for this position, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position title and organization you are applying for in the subject line of the email or submit your resume below.